Archaeological Sites in Rajasthan: Ancient History
May 29, 2019
RPSC RAS/RTS Mains Exam Practice/Mock/Solved/Test Papers in Both Hindi and English.
Indus Valley Civilization: The Indus Valley Civilization was an ancient civilization located in what is Pakistan and northwest India today, on the fertile flood plain of the Indus River and its vicinity. Evidence of religious practices in this area date back approximately to 5500 BCE. Farming settlements began around 4000 BCE and around 3000 BCE there appeared the first signs of urbanization. By 2600 BCE, dozens of towns and cities had been established and between 2500 and 2000 BCE the Indus Valley Civilization was at its peak. Two cities, in particular, have been excavated at the sites of Mohenjo-Daro on the lower Indus and at Harappa further upstream. The evidence suggests they had a highly developed city life; many houses had wells and bathrooms as well as an elaborate underground drainage system. The social conditions of the citizens were comparable to those in Sumeria and superior to the contemporary Babylonians and Egyptians. These cities display a well-planned urbanization system.
Located on the bank of river Ghaghhar in Hanumangarh District.
Discovered by Amlanand Ghosh in 1953.
Excavated by Brijvasilal in 1961.
Evidence of ploughed field is found.
Evidence of growing Barley and Mustard are found.
Cylindrical seal of Mesopotamia is found here.
Houses were made from Raw bricks (Kachhi Int).
The drainage system was not properly developed.
Evidence of Earthquake.
Sothi (Sothi Civilization):
It was a rural civilization.
Located in Ganganagar District.
Situated on the plain of Ghaghhar and Chautang River.
It is also called Kalibanga 1st.
Historian mentioned it as the origin place of Harappan civilization.
Other Archaeological Sites
1. Ganeshwar: It isLocated on the bank of river Kantali in Sikar District.
Ganeshwar is located near the copper mines of the Sikar-Jhunjhunu area of the Khetri copper belt in Rajasthan. The Ganeshwar-Jodhpura culture group has over 80 other sites currently identified. The period was estimated to be 2500–2000 BC. Historian Ratna Chandra Agrawal wrote that Ganeshwar was excavated in 1977. Excavations revealed copper objects including arrowheads, spearheads, fish hooks, bangles and chisels. With its microliths and other stone tools, Ganeshwar culture can be ascribed to the pre-Harappan period.
Ganeshwar saw three cultural phases: Period 1 (3800 BCE) which was characterized by hunting and gathering communities using chert tools; Period II (2800 BCE) shows the beginnings of metal work in copper and fired clay pottery; Period III (2000 BCE) featured a variety of pottery and copper goods being produced. Nearly one thousand pieces of copper were found here. Red pottery was found here with black portraiture.
2. Sunari: It islocated in Jhunjhunu district, as at other sites, the PGW culture (period I) issucceeded by Period II which is represented by unslipped ware though Black and Redand Black slipped wares of PGW period continue and a few NBP sherds are alsopresent. The important antiquities include a stone plaque bearing auspicious Buddhistsymbol, iron implements and copper objects. Period III is represented by typical potteryof the Sunga Kushana period and important finds include a seal with an inscription inBrahmi characters, terracotta animal figurines, and copper cast coins. It is situated on the bank of river Kantali in Jhunjhunu district and It is a Iron Age site.
- It is in Nagaur district and also Called Town of Tools.
- Located in Udaipur district and Industrial Town (Because of Iron Mine in Ancient time)
- Located in Bundi district and Rock paintings of ancient India are found.
The Department of Archaeology and Museums, Government of Rajasthan, undertook excavation at Jodhpura located on Jaipur-Delhi highway. At Jodhpura Period III, represented by the PGW culture, is succeeded by periods of IV and V both Early Historic age. Period IV is marked by occurrence of NBP ware and unslipped red ware. Important finds of this period include iron arrow heads and nails, shell bangle, terracotta humped bull and stone bead. Period V is represented by Sunga Kushana pottery. The common shapes are bowl, lid cum bowl, and lipped bowl with small spouted channel. Some sherds are stamped with Triratna and Swastika symbols. Other finds of the period comprise iron implements, a terracotta ghata shaped bead, a stone bead and a copper coin.
- It is located on the bank of river Sabi in Jaipur district.
- This site is known for incised ware, Reserved Slipware, Copper Arrow heads and Celts.
UPSC IAS Prelims 2020
- Ancient History of Rajasthan
- Art and Culture-Rajasthan
- Current Affairs-India
- Current Affairs-Rajasthan
- Current-Question Bank
- Daily Current Affairs
- Daily MCQ
- Daily Practice Question
- Economy of India
- Economy of Rajasthan
- Economy Question Bank
- Electrical Engineering
- Environment Question Bank
- General Knowledge
- General Science
- General Studies
- Geography of India
- Geography of Rajasthan
- Geography Question Bank
- History of India
- History of Rajasthan
- History Question Bank
- IAS Prelims 2019
- IAS Prelims 2020
- IAS Prelims Result
- IAS Prelims Test Series
- Indian Polity
- Latest Govt Scheme
- Polity of Rajasthan
- Polity Question Bank
- Previous year solved paper
- Public Administration Paper-3
- Public Administration Rajasthan
- Rajasthan Daily MCQ Test
- Rajasthan GK
- Rajasthan GK Practice MCQ
- RAS Mains
- RAS Mains Sociology Test
- RAS Mains Test Series
- RAS Prelims
- Science and Technology
- Solved papers
- Sports & Yoga
- Test Series
- UPSC IAS Mains
- UPSC Prelims 2020
- World Geography
- UPSC IAS Mains Previous Year Papers
- 2. Assess the importance of the accounts of the Chinese and Arab travellers in the reconstruction of the history of India.
- 1. Safeguarding the Indian art heritage is the need of the moment. Discuss
- IAS Prelims 2020: GS Paper Test-4
- General Science Question Bank for all exams- PDF download
- Mahatma Gandhi: Biography and GK Questions PDF download
- Current Affairs Question (1-15) July 2019 Free Download
- (Free) Current Affairs Question Bank June-July 2019 PDF download
- RPSC RAS Mains Exam 2018-19 Question Paper
- UPSC IAS Mains: Natural Resources in India & World
- UPSC IAS Mains: Political philosophies like communism capitalism and socialism
- UPSC IAS Mains: Poverty and Developmental Issues
- UPSC IAS Prelims 2019 Result declared
- UPSC IAS Mains: Population and Associated Issues
- UPSC IAS Mains: Urbanization Their Problems and Their Remedies
- UPSC IAS Mains: earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone
- UPSC IAS Mains: Effects of Globalisation on Indian Society
- UPSC IAS Mains: Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism
- Salient features of world’s physical geography
- UPSC IAS Prelims Exam 2020 Weekly Test-2
- Half Yearly Current Affairs Question Bank: January – July 2019
- Economic Survey 2019: Key Highlights & Facts of the Economic Survey 2019
- Economy of Rajasthan Complete Study Material with Practice Questions
- Rajasthan History Complete Study Book with Practice Questions
- UPSC Prelims Last 10 Years Solved Questions GS Paper-I
- Indian Economy: UPSC Prelims Previous Year Solved Questions
- Indian History Previous Year UPSC Prelims Question Bank
- Polity & Constitution: UPSC IAS Prelims Previous Year Solved Questions
- Geography Solved Questions asked in UPSC IAS Prelims Previous Exams
- General Studies Practice Test -3
- Test Series: UPSC IAS Prelims Exam 2020
- Vision IAS Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- General Studies Test – 3
- Rajasthan GK – Test 3
- General Studies Practice Test-2
- Rajasthan GK – Test 2
- UPSC Prelims 2019 Question Topics – 100 Areas from which UPSC Framed Questions
- General Studies Practice Test-1
- Rajasthan Gk Test-1
- Current Affairs MCQ from January – July 2019 for All Competitive Exams
- National Parks in Rajasthan
- Wildlife and its Conservation in Rajasthan
- BREEDS OF GOAT LIVESTOCK IN RAJASTHAN
- Breeds of Cow – Livestock in Rajasthan
- Cattle and Buffalo Breeds of Rajasthan
- Thar the Great Indian desert
- Semi-Arid Transitional Plain or Rajasthan Bagar
- Mountains, Peaks and Aravalli Ranges- Geography of Rajasthan
- Introduction:Geography of Rajasthan
- India and Tropic of Cancer
- UPSC IAS PRELIMS ANSWER KEY 2019 WITH SOLUTION
- OPERATION GREENS
- Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019
- HIV/AIDS ACT
- Women’s Reservation Bill
- Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan
- “Safe City Surveillance” Scheme
- National Register of Citizens
- Cauvery Water Dispute Verdict
- Article 35A
- Mission Antyodaya
- Chakma and Hajong Refugees
- NITI Aayog releases Strategy for New India @ 75
- Global Skills Park (GSP) in Madhya Pradesh
- World Custom Organization
- North East Industrial Development Scheme (NEIDS)
- India to Chair Kimberley Process
- 250-Important topics for UPSC IAS Prelims Exam 2019
- (MCQ) Current Affairs April-June 2019
- The Ochre Colored Pottery or OCP culture: Ancient History of Rajasthan
- Ahar – Banas Culture of Rajasthan
- Ancient Civilizations of Rajasthan
- Archaeological Sites in Rajasthan: Ancient History
- Gupta Period: Ancient History of Rajasthan
- Mauryan Period: Ancient History of Rajasthan
- Mahajanapadas of Rajasthan: Ancient History of Rajasthan
- Stone Age: Ancient History of Rajasthan
- Economy of Rajasthan Study Notes with Practice MCQ
- Lakes in Rajasthan: Geography of Rajasthan
- River system: Geography of Rajasthan
- Humidity in Rajasthan: Geography of Rajasthan
- Classification and distribution of soils in Rajasthan
- Distribution of Rainfall in Rajasthan: Geography of Rajasthan
- Weather Seasons of Rajasthan: Geography of Rajasthan
- Temperature Variation in Rajasthan: Geography of Rajasthan
- Climate and Climatic Regions of Rajasthan: Geography of Rajasthan
- Plains of Rajasthan: Geography of Rajasthan
- Aravalli Range & Hilly Region: Geography of Rajasthan
- Southeastern Rajasthan Pathar or Hadoti Plateau: Geography of Rajasthan
- Western Sandy Plains: Geography of Rajasthan
- IAS Prelims 2019: Shubhra Ranjan Economy MCQ with Explanation
- (PDF) Historical Places of Rajasthan : State Gazetteer
- (PDF) Public Administration and welfare of Rajasthan : State Gazetteer
- (PDF) Economic Structure of Rajasthan : State Gazetteer
- (PDF) History and Culture of Rajasthan: State Gazetteer
- (PDF) Land and The People of Rajasthan: State Gazetteer
- (PDF) RPSC RAS Mains Exam Free Yoga ebook
- RAS Mains Exam : Springboard Solved Test Papers in Hindi