Recently, ISRO has planned to launch GSAT-20, based on electric propulsion technology which has helped in reducing the weight of the satellite to just 3.5 tonnes.
- Electric Propulsion System (EPS) can reduce the dependence on chemical propellant thereby increasing the payload capacity of the vehicle.
- Electric Propulsion system helps in orbit correction of a satellite.
- It helps in maintaining a satellite on its path during its entire life duration.
- This system provides small but accurate thrust to a satellite in its orbit.
- The new system converts solar energy available in the space into electrical energy and later to kinetic energy by generating thrust that propels a satellite.
- This system has been already tested by Russian space agency and NASA.
- It has immense capability to eventually lower the cost of launches.