Forts & Palaces of Rajasthan
The extensive and majestic hill forts of Rajasthan together reflect the elaborate, fortified seats of power of Princely States that flourished between the 8th and 18th centuries and their relative political independence. Scattered all around in the state, these forts have a uniqueness of their own, with each one of them narrating a story about its kings, kingdom and colourful culture. Their beautiful structures, enchanting edifices and stunning architecture are beyond any comparison. Recognizing their value, six of these Hill Forts of Rajasthan have been declared UNESCO World Heritage Sites. They are, Chittorgarh Fort, Kumbhalgarh Fort, Ranthambore Fort, Gagron Fort, Amber Fort and Jaisalmer Fort.
Forts of Rajasthan
- Amber Fort, Jaipur
- Bala Qila, Alwar
- Barmer Fort, Barmer
- Chittorgarh Fort, Chittorgarh
- Gagron Fort, Jhalawar
- Gugor Fort, Baran
- Jaigarh Fort, Jaipur
- Jaisalmer Fort, Jaisalmer
- Jalore Fort, Jalore,
- Jhalawar Fort, Jhalawar
- Juna Fort and Temple, Barmer
- Junagarh Fort, Bikaner
- Khandhar Fort, Sawai Madhopur
- Khejarala Fort, Jodhpur
- Khimsar Fort, Nagaur
- Kumbhalgarh Fort, Rajsamand
- Lohagarh Fort, Bharatpur
- Mehrangarh Fort, Jodhpur
- Nagaur Fort, Nagaur
- Nahargarh Fort, Jaipur
- Nahargarh Fort, Baran
- Neemrana Fort Palace, Alwar
- Ranthambore Fort, Sawai Madhopur
- Taragarh Fort, Bundi
- Shergarh Fort, Baran
- Surajgarh Fort, Surajgarh
Palaces of Rajasthan
- Alwar City Palace, Alwar
- Amber Palace, Jaipur
- Badal Mahal, Dungarpur
- Dholpur Palace, Bharatpur
- Fateh Prakash Palace, Chittorgarh
- Gajner Palace and Lake, Bikaner
- Jag Mandir, Udaipur
- Jagmandir Palace, Kota
- Jaipur City Palace, Jaipur
- Jal Mahal, Jaipur
- Juna Mahal, Dungarpur
- Lake Palace, Udaipur
- Lalgarh Palace and Museum, Bikaner
- Laxmi Niwas Palace, Bikaner
- Man Mahal, Pushkar
- Mandir Palace, Jaisalmer
- Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
- Moti Doongri, Alwar
- Moti Doongri, Jaipur
- Moti Mahal, Jodhpur
- Nathmal Ji Ki Haveli, Jaisalmer
- Patwon Ki Haveli, Jaisalmer
- Phool Maha, Jodhpur
- Raj Mandir, Banswara
- Rampuria Haveli, Bikaner
- Rana Kumbha Palace, Chittorgarh
- Rani Padmini’s Palace, Chittorgarh
- Ranisar Padamsar, Jodhpur
- Ratan Singh Palace, Chittorgarh
- Salim Singh Ki Haveli, Jaisalmer
- Sardar Samand Lake and Palace, Jodhpur
- Sheesha Mahal, Jodhpur
- Sisodia Rani Palace and Garden, Jaipur
- Sukh Mahal, Bundi
- Soonhari Kothi, Sawaimadhopur
- Udai Bilas Palace, Dungarpur
- Udaipur City Palace, Udaipur
- Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur
Taragarh Fort, Ajmer
Taragarh fort was first built by Chauhan king Ajaipal on Taragarh Hill. It is also said that Rana Sanga’s Brother Prthvi Raj made a portion of for his wife Tara and named it Taragarh. The fort guarding Ajmer was the seat of the Chauhan rulers and was again believed to be built by Mughal ruler Akbar.
Taragarh is reputed to be one of the oldest hill forts in India and the world. The battlements run along the top of the hill. The walls are two miles (3 km) in circumference and the fort can only be approached by way of a very steep slope. When it fell to the British Raj, the fort was dismantled on the orders of Lord William Bentinck and was converted into a sanatorium for the British troops.
Akbari Fort & Museum, Ajmer
This fort was constructed in 1570 by Akbar and is also called as Daulat-khanna or Magazine. Plans for battle of Haldighati were finalized in this fort in 1576 and Jehangir camped in the fort for 3 years to bring mewar under Mughal control.
This fort is a magnificent example of Mughal architecture and it is the location from where
Salim, as the Emperor Jahangir read out the Farman permitting the
British East India Company to trade with India.
In 1801, control of fort passed to British who converted it into magazine (armory).
Currently, the fort is converted into a state
museum and houses a collection of Mughal,
Rajput armor and sculpture. The fort also has beautiful paintings and Janana portion has excellent Picchikari works.
Kesroli Hill Fort, Alwar
This 14th century fort is best known for its turrets, ramparts and arched verandas. The Yaduvanshi Rajputs, who are said to be descendants of Lord Krishna, built it. Today, the fort has been
converted into a heritage hotel.
Bala Quila, Alwar
The Bala Qila (meaning young fort) was built on the foundations of a 10th century mud fort and is a towering structure set atop a hill. Strong fortifications, graceful marble columns and delicate latticed balconies make up the fort. Bala Qila can be entered through six gates, namely Jai Pol, Suraj Pol, Laxman Pol, Chand Pol, Krishan Pol and Andheri Gate.
Alwar City Palace
Raja Bakhtawar Singh built the city palace in 1793 AD. The palace is an amazing mélange of the Rajputana and Islami styles of architecture. The highlight of this palace is graceful marble pavilions set on lotus flower bases in the central courtyard. The palace that once belonged to the Maharaja has been converted into the District Collectorate. Its grand halls and chambers now house government offices.
Neemrana Fort, Alwar
History says that Neemrana Fort was built by the Yaduvanshi, believed to be the descendants of Lord Krishna. Its story is rife with conquests and defeats and it has passed from the Rajputs to the Mughals and the Jats, before finally coming back to the Rajputs in 1775. Today, it is being run as a famous heritage hotel.
Shahbad Fort, Baran
Shahabad fort is one of the strongest forts in Hadoti area. It is located at about 80 km. from Baran. The Chauhan Vanshi Dhandhel Rajput Mukutmani Dev constructed Shahbad fort in the 1521 A.D. (Samvat 1577). This is situated in the dense forest area on the high mountain ranges and is surrounded by Kundakoh valley, waterfalls and a lake. The Topkhana (artillery) has Nawalbaan tope (cannon), Barudkhana and some temples in the forts are still secure.
Shergarh Fort, Baran
Shergarh fort is situated in Atru tehsil, about 65 km. from Baran district headquarters. The fort is located atop a hillock on the bank of Parban River. SherShah named the fort as Koshvardhan. A stone edict of 790 AD proves the antiquity of the place.
Nahar Garh Fort, Baran
The fort is about 73 km. from Baran in Kishanganj tehsil. Fort is an impressive structure in red stone and a fine example of the Mughal architecture.
Siwana Fort, Barmer
Siwana Fort was constructed in 10th century by Narayan Panwar. In local language its name is Gadh Siwana and after the battle of Giri Summel Rao Maldeo took refuge in this fort from
Sher Shah. During 1308-09 under reign of
Sataldev, the fort was attacked by Allauddin
Khilji which resulted in first Jauhar/Saka. In 1597, Akbar with Motaraja Udai Singh attacked
Siwana fort at the time of Kalyanmal which resulted in 2nd Jauhar.
Lohagarh Fort, Bharatpur
Lohagarh fort was built by Jat Raja Surajmal in 1733. True to its name, Lohagarh Fort has withstood many attacks by the British, but was ultimately captured by Arthur Wellesley. The famous door of Lohagarh fort was brought by Maharaja Jawahar Singh from Delhi in 1765. Lohagarh Fort differs from others by its aura of rugged strength. The fort is surrounded by a moat which used to be filled with water to keep enemies out. Interesting monuments inside the fort are Kothi Khas, Mahal Khas, Moti Mahal and Kishori Mahal. Raja Suraj Mal built Jawahar Bhurj and Fateh Bhurj to commemorate victories over the Mughals and the British.
Bharatpur Palace and Museum
Located within the premises of the Bharatpur Palace is Kamra Khas, a museum that contains a vast number of antiques, over 581 stone sculptures, 861 local art and craft wares and ancient scriptures that depict the art and culture typical of Bharatpur. The palace itself was built in stages by various Maharajas and is a fine fusion of Mughal and Rajput architecture. The various apartments in the palace have a variety of richly patterned floor tiles decorated with exquisite designs.
Mandalgarh Fort, Bhilwara
Mandalgarh Fort Bhilwara is believed to have been built by Rana Kumbha and is the 3rd fort of Mewar region, the other two being Chittorgarh and Kumbhalgarh. However, According to Veer Vinod, the fort had been constructed by Mandiya Bhil and Chanana Gurjar. The fort is located on a part of Aravali hill range along confluence of Banas, Berach & Menali.
Badnore Fort, Bhilwara
Badnore Fort is situated at Asind road and distance is 70 km from Bhilwara.
Junagarh Fort, Bikaner
Junagarh Fort was constructed in the year 1588 A.D by Raja Rai Singh, one of Emperor Akbar’s most distinguished generals.. It is believed that crocodiles were bred in the water moat surrounding the formidable fort. The construction is a fine blend of Mughal, Gujarati and Rajput style of architecture. The picturesque courtyards beautify the fort. The fort complex houses some magnificent palaces constructed in red sandstone and marble like Anup Mahal, Chandra Mahal, Hawa Mahal, Dungar Mahal, Diwan-e-Khas and Ganga Mahal.
The fort also houses a Prachina Museum which contains royal costumes, textiles and accessories of Rajasthani royalty.
Lalgarh Palace, Bikaner
Lalgarh Palace was built by Maharaja Ganga Singh in the year 1902 in memory of his father Maharaja Lal Singh Ji. The red sandstone construction is a fine blend of Mughal, Rajput and European architectures styles. The design was conceptualised by Sir Swinton Jacob.
The first floor of the Palace houses Sadul Singh Museum. The lives and the passions of the three successive kings of Bikaner are reflected in the art museum. The rare artifacts, Georgian paintings, and the photographs seen here stand proof of the interests and the heroics of the three kings namely Maharaja Ganga Singh, Sadul Singh and Karni Singh.
Gajner Palace, Bikaner
The Gajner Palace was founded by Maharaja Gaj Singh ji of Bikaner in the year 1784, and then completed by the great Maharaja Ganga Singh of Bikaner on the banks of the lake. The palace
served as retreat after hunting for the royal family. The red sandstone construction is a glowing example of stunning architecture. The palace is situated in the thick of forest and you could view migratory birds flock in great numbers.
Taragarh Fort, Bundi
Taragarh Fort was constructed by Rao raja Bair Singh in 1354 on a hilltop 1426 feet high. In the centre of the fort is located Bhim Bhurj on which was once mounted a particularly large cannon called Garbh Gunjam, or ‘Thunder from the Womb’. With its curved roofs topping pavilions, excess of temple columns and elephant and lotus motifs, the palace is a tribute to Rajput style. The fort includes Hazari Darwaza, Haathi Pol, Nau Dhaan, Ratan Daulat-khanna, Darikhana, Ratan Niawas, Chatra Mahal and Badal Mahal & Moti Mahal.
Sukh Mahal, Bundi
Sukh Mahal, a small, two-storied palace was a summer retreat of past rulers. Located on banks
of Jait Sagar Lake, the palace was constructed by
Rao raja Vishnu Singh in 1773 A.D. Today, it is quite famous for being the
place where Kipling wrote ‘Kim’. Many credit the palace as a having played muse
to the renowned novel. In fact, part of a movie based on the novel was even
Chittorgarh Fort is the largest fort in Asia. The Fort of Chittorgarh is strategically located on the top of a high hilly outcrop of the Aravallis about 180 m above the plains of the valley drained by the Berach River. The fort also contains Gaumukh Reservoir, which a deep tank is fed by a spring. The spring emerges from a rock formation resembling a Gaumukh or ‘cow’s mouth’. The tank is considered sacred by the locals.
Padmini’s Palace, Chittorgarh
The Padmini palace is Amazing place to visit in Chittorgarh. It was the residence of Rani Padmini who was known for her gorgeous beauty. The palace is a popular tourist attraction because of its rich architecture and association with the Rajput heritage and history. There is a lotus pond near this palace.Ala-ud-din saw the reflection of Queen Padmini in this pool. He was so captivated and entranced by her that he fought a furious battle with Maharana Ratan Singh (husband of Maharani Padmini). This battle changed the history of Chittorgarh.
Rana Kumbha Palace, Chittorgarh
Rana Kumbha palace is 15th century palace where Rana Kumbha lived and spent his royal life. This historic monument is very popular among tourists due to its charming and artistic architecture. The founder of Udaipur, Maharana Udai Singh was born in this same palace. Rana Kumbha palace has the cellar where brave Rani Padmini performed an act of Jauhar along with other women during an attack of Khilji.
Bhainsrorgarh Fort, Chittorgarh
Bhainsrorgarh is an impregnable fort, inhabited from at least the 2nd century BC. It is dramatically positioned between two rivers, the Chambal and Bamani. It had passed through the hands of several clans before becoming the seat of a premier noble of Mewar, the large region around Udaipur and Princely State of the Sisodia clan. It contains five tanks, temples to Devi Bhim Chauri, Shiva, and Ganesh. The present fort is around 260 years old and was built in the 1740s.
Churu Fort was constructed by Thakur Kushal Singh in 1649 A.D. In 1814, Surat Singh of Bikaner attacked this fort and after ammunition was exhausted, Thakur Shiv Singh fired Cannon balls made of silver in defense of fort. Shiv Singh also constructed Gopinath temple inside the fort.
Dausa Fort was constructed on Devgiri Hill, probably first by Bargujars and subsequently by Kachhawaha when they made Dausa as their first capital.
Madhorajpura Fort, Dausa
Sawai Madho Singh-I after defeating Marathas, established the township of Madhorajpura and constructed the fort. According to historians, this fort was used as the headquarters by the Swathi, during the fight between Marathas and Swathi Pratap Singh.
Khawaraoji is famous for residence of the then ruler Raoji and natural beauty. It is situated at about 25 Kms from the district headquarter towards Sikrai. Though, it has typical way to reach this place, the fort like residence is converted into the Khawaraoji Heritage Hotel. Surrounded by hills at the three sides, and having Amol Ghati nearby with natural beauty, this place has worth to visit by tourists.
Shergarh Fort, Dholpur
Located on Banks of river Chambal, Shergarh fort is, said to be first constructed by Raja Maldev during Kushan Period. In 1540, Shershah reconstructed the fort and named it Shergarh.
Juna Mahal, Dungarpur
Juna Mahal (Old Palace) is a 13th century, seven-storeyed edifice. It is built on a high platform constructed from Pareva stone and its rugged exterior gives it a resemblance of a citadel. It has been elaborately planned with fortified walls, watchtowers, narrow doorways and corridors to delay the enemy for as long as possible. What lies inside is a complete contrast to the exterior. Visitors will be spellbound by the beautiful murals, miniature paintings and delicate glass and mirror work that adorn the interiors.
Udai Bilas Palace, Dungarpur
The Udai Bilas Palace has been named after Maharawal Udai Singh II. Its striking design follows classic Rajput architectural style and boasts of detailed designs in its balconies, arches and windows. A beautiful wing built of the local bluish grey stone called Pareva overlooks the lake. The palace is segregated into Raniwas, Udai Bilas and Krishna Prakash, also known as Ek Thambiya Mahal. The Ek Thambiya Mahal is a veritable marvel of Rajput architecture featuring intricate sculptured pillars and panels, ornate balconies, balustrades, bracketed windows, arches and frieze of marble carvings. Today, Udai Bilas Palace functions as a heritage hotel.
Badal Mahal, Dungarpur
The Badal Mahal, built using Pareva stone, is another splendid palace of
Dungarpur. Located on the banks of Gaib Sagar Lake, it is renowned for its
Elaborate design and a fusion of the architectural styles of the Rajputs and
The Mughals, The monument comprises two stages, three domes and a
Veranda and Each dome sports a carved half ripe lotus while the largest dome sports three.
Bhatner Fort, Hanumangarh
The Bhatner Fort, otherwise known as the Hanumangarh Fort, is located on somewhat elevated land with gigantic barricades along the banks of the River Ghaggar in the centre of Hanumangarh. In 295 AD, Bhupat, son of Jailsamer’s King Bhatti built this strong fort. Since then, rulers like Timur, Ghaznavid, Prithviraj Chauhan, Akbar, Qutub-ud-din-Aibak and Rathores had captured this fort. The strength of this fort has been mentioned in the autobiography written by Timur called “Tuzuk- e- Timuri.” Even Mughal Emperor Akbar described this fortification in his book “Ain- I- Akbari”.
It has many towering gates surrounding the fort and many big rounded bastions that stand at intervals. There are three statues, which bear inscriptions, and an ancient building called “Jain Pasara” is situated inside the fort. There is also a tomb inside this fort, where Sher Khan is kept. Sher Khan was the nephew of Sultan Ghiyas-ud-din-Balban (1266 – 1290) as well as the Governor of the Fort.
Amber Fort, Jaipur
Amer Fort is the complex of palaces, halls, pavilions, gardens and temples, which were built by Raja Man Singh, Mirza Raja Jai Singh and Sawai Jai Singh over a period of about two centuries. It is made of red sandstone and white marble and incorporates both Rajput and Mughal architecture.
The palace complex rises from the placid waters of the Mootha lake, which contains Mohan Bari or Kesar Kyari in the center.
Jaipur City Palace, Jaipur
Jaipur City Palace was built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II, the founder of Jaipur. The palace is a beautiful blend of Mughal and Rajput styles of architecture. The previous royal family continues to reside in one section of the palace. Located within the walls of the City Palace, Chandra Mahal is a seven-storeyed tower. However, the ground and first floors have now been given over for the Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II Museum.
Hawa Mahal, Jaipur
The Palace of Wind or Hawa Mahal was constructed in 1799 by the poet-king Sawai Pratap Singh. The five-storied structure is made of pink sandstone and has 356 intricately carved jharaokha (windows). It was designed for the women of the royal family to sit in privacy while observing life on the street.
Nahargarh Fort, Jaipur
The northern frontier of Jaipur is fortified by Nahargarh Fort. Situated on a rough crest of the Aravalli range, the fort, which literally means ‘abode of the tigers’, was built in 1734 by Jai Singh to further defend Amber. Later, in 1868, the fort was extended to its present size. Much of the original structures are now in ruins, but the lovely building added by sawai Ram Singh II and Sawai Madho Singh II still survive.
Jaigarh Fort, Jaipur
It is one of the few military structures of the medieval India preserved almost intact containing palaces, gardens, open and covered reservoirs, a granary, an armoury, a well-planned cannon foundry, several temples, a tall tower and a giant mounted cannon-the Jai Ban – the largest in the country. Jaigarh Fort was built by Sawai Jai Singh II sometime in the early 18th century amidst the arid, rocky and thorn-scrub covered hills.
Jal Mahal, Jaipur
Jal Mahal is a tiny palace located in the middle of small Man Sagar Lake.
Also called as Golden Fort or “Sonar Kila”, it is a world heritage site. It was built in 1156 AD by Rawal Jaisal and stands on Trikuta Hill (the triple peaked hill) among an undulating sea of sand. The fort is built in Sandstone, protected by high walls, approachable through four successive gates, the Akhaiy Pol, the Ganesh Pol, the Suraj Pol and the Hawa Pol.
Jalore Fort is one of the nine castles of the Maru’, under the Paramaras in the 10th century, It has been known through history as the Sonagiri or the ‘golden mount’. The precise year of its construction is not known however it is believed to be built between the 8th and 10th centuries. Jalore fort is located atop a steep and perpendicular hill 336m high, fortified with a wall and bastions with cannon mounted upon them. The fort has four gigantic gates and is approachable only from one side, after a two-mile long serpentine ascent.
Gagron Fort, Jhalawar
Gagron Fort is an example of ‘Jal Durg’, or Water Fort surrounded by waters of Ahu, Kali and Sindh rivers on three sides. It is included in the list of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. The foundation of this impregnable, magnificent fort was laid in the 7th century. Outside the fort is a Dargah of Sufi Saint Mitheshah, where a fair is held every year during the Islamic month of Moharram. Nearby is a monastery of Saint Pipa, a contemporary of Saint Kabir.
Situated in the centre of the town, the Jhalawar fort or Garh Palace was built by Maharaj Rana Madan Singh and his successors added beautiful paintings inside the rooms. The Zenana Khas or the ‘Women’s Palace’ has some excellent frescoes on both, walls and mirrors and they are prime examples of the Hadoti school of art.
Mehrangarh Fort, Jodhpur
Situated on a steep hill, Mehrangarh fort is one of the largest forts in India. The beauty and the grandeur of numerous palaces in the fort narrate a saga of hard sandstones yielding to the chisels of skilled Jodhpuri sculptures. The fort is known for its exquisite latticed windows, carved panels, intricately decorated windows and walls of Moti Mahal, Phool Mahal and Sheesha Mahal.
Moti Mahal, Jodhpur
Moti Mahal, as the name suggests, is the Pearl Hall where the royal families held their audience. The hall is known to have glass windows and five nooks that enabled the queens to listen to the proceedings taking place in the Srinagar Chowki, The Royal Throne of Jodhpur.
Phool Mahal, Jodhpur
Going by the name, the Phool Mahal or Flower Hall is the most exorbitant of all the halls in the palace. This beautiful chamber is said to be the pleasure dome for the Maharajas. The gold used for constructing the Mahal came from Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
Khejarala Fort, Jodhpur
Located 85 kilometres from the main city, the 400-year old Khejarala Fort is situated in a rural setting. The stunning red sandstone monument, now a hotel, is an example of Rajput architecture. Visitors will be mesmerized by the fort’s picturesque settings, latticework friezes and intricate Jharoka.
Ummaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur
Umaid Bhawan Palace was built by Maharaja Umaid Singh in 1929 to counter a famine which had hit the state at the time. It was also known as the Chittar Palace while being constructed thanks to the use of stones drawn from the Chittar hill. The palace was designed by HV Lanchester, a renowned British architect, and was completed in 16 years. Built with sandstone and marble, the architecture of the palace is described as a blend of lndo-Saracenic, Classical Revival and Western Art Deco styles. It is recognised as one of the largest private homes in the world and also one of the more spectacular buildings. It is the only palace built in the 20th century.
Sardar Samand Palace, Jodhpur
Built on the banks of the Sardar Samand Lake by Maharaja Umaid Singh in 1933, the Sardar Samand Lake Palace is a spectacular hunting lodge. It remains the royal family’s favorites retreat and houses a vast collection of African trophies and original water colour paintings.
Fort of Timangarh, Karauli
Timangarh fort is situated in Masalpur village. According to prevailing believes in Samvat (Hindu calendar) 1244 Yaduvanshi ruler Timanpal constructed this Fort. On all four side of this fort, there exists unique sample of 5 feet wide and 30 feet high battledore architecture. It seems as a complete city is enclosed within fort. Market inside fort wall, flooring, garden, temples and remains of well are still available.
Unt Giri Fort, Karauli
This fort was established during 15th Century in Kalyanpura village on a tunnel shaped high mountain range. The fort is spread over 4 Km of area, and has a 100 feet high waterfall which directly drop water over a Shivalinga. Till last Mughal Empire, this fort remained in ownership of Yaduvanshi.
Dev Giri Fort, Karauli
The Fort is located on east of Unt Giri on bank of Chambal River. In year 1506-07 attack of Sikander Lodhi caused major damage to this fort. In present it has one Bavdi, ransacked stone scriptures and few remains of palace are available.
Mandrayal Fort, Karauli
In south of Karauli, on the bank of Chambal River and between the mountain ranges, Mandrayal fort made of red stone is situated on a small hill. Due to its location near Gwalior, from the view of a monument it is considered important. The Surya Pol of Fort receives direct sunlight starting from sunrise to sunset. In year 1327 Maharaja Arjun Dev had acquired this fort, which remained under custodianship of Karauli.
Bahadurpur Quila (fort), Karauli
This fort is located on Mundrayal Route, near forest of Sasand Village and deserted environment. ‘Bahadur pura Ka Quila’ stands like an insuppressible warrior is an actual example of inseparable Mughal art. Double storied Narp Gopal Bhawan, Saheliyon Ki Bavdi, Artistic Jharokha, 18 feet long girder of common and VIP courts, 5 warriors, Magadh Rai Ki Chatri are worth watching. The fort was constructed by Nagaraj was son of Yaduvanshi King Timanpal, expansion of this fort was done throughout 1566 to 1644. Ruler of Jaipur Sawai Jaising also resided in this fort.
Ramthera Fort, Karauli
The Ramthera fort is situated in Sapotra Subdivision of Karauli district between Ranthambore Wildlife Sanctuary and Bharatpur Bird Reserve; it is just 15 kilometers away from Kailadevi Sanctuary.
Rawal Palace, Karauli
Established during 13 century Palace (Rawal Palace) made out of Red and White Stone is an example of stone craft. Artistic pictures and carving on huge gate, reticulated vents, artillery, Nahar Kathara, Suri Gurj, Gopal singh Akhada, Bhanwar Bank, Nazar Bagichi, Manik Mahal, Fountain Pond, Gopal Temple, Deewan-e-Aam, Fauj Kachari, Kirkiri Khana, Giyan Bangla, Sheesha Mahal, Moti Mahal, Harvilas, Ranglal, Teda Kuwa, Jannani Dayothi and others along with effective establishment are also part of its culture and traditions.
Jagmandir Palace, Kota
The Jagmandir Palace was built by one of the queens of Kota between 1743 and 1745, and is situated in the middle of the Kishore Sagar Lake. Built in red sandstone, it is a monument of exquisite beauty. The palace is open to tourists who can enjoy boat rides in the Kishore Sagar Lake and the panoramic view of the palace from the lake. The Keshar Bagh, situated near the Jagmandir Palace is well known for its royal cenotaphs.
Garh Palace, Kota
This large complex, also known as the City Palace, is built in a predominantly Rajput style of architecture. The palace is a sprawling complex of suites and apartments built by different rulers of the Rajput dynasty at different times in history.
Situated within the walls of the Garh palace is Maharao Madho Singh Museum which houses a splendid collection of Rajput miniature paintings of the Kota school. The exquisite sculptures, frescoes and murals present a breathtaking view.
It is said that Nagaur fort was initially built by ruler of Nag dynasty in 2nd century and was then rebuilt in the early 12th century. This fort has witnessed several battles and has also been altered multiple times. Being one of the first Mughal strongholds in North-India it is an outstanding example of Rajput-Mughal architecture.
Khimsar Fort, Nagaur
It is said that the Nagaur fort was initially built by the ruler of the Nag dynasty in 2nd century, and this 500 year old fort, located on the eastern edge of the Thar Desert was built in about 1523. Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb used to stay at this fort. Black deer roam in herds around this fort.
Kuchaman Fort, Nagaur
Kuchaman Fort is the oldest & most inaccessible forts of Rajasthan. Situated on top of a straight hill, it possesses unique water harvesting system, a beautiful palace and stunning wall paintings. The rulers of Jodhpur used to mint their gold and silver currency here.
Devgarh is located in Pratapgarh sub-division on a small hill. It is also known as “Devliya”. This palace is surrounded by small hills and situated at average elevation of 1809 feet from sea level. Rajmahal, old Bawadia, Jain temples are located in Devgarh. A famous temple of “Beej mata” is also situated here, where a fair takes place every year.
A temple of lord Raghunath is placed in Rajmahal itself, where a solar clock is placed on the top of it. The clock tells time according to the light of sun. The Palace and its vicinity also contain some ponds including Tej sagar and Sonela.
Kumbhalgarh Fort, Rajsamand
The Kumbhalgarh Fort was built by Rana Kumbha between A.D. 1443 and 1458 on the site of a still older castle which tradition ascribes to Samprati, a Jaina prince of the second century B.C. It is the second most important fort of Mewar after Chittaurgarh. It is defended by a series of walls with battlements and bastions built on the slope of the
hill which is reached through seven great gateways viz. Aret Pol, Halla Pol, Hanuman Pol, Ram Pol, Nimboo Pol, Bhairon Pol. Among important temples are those of Mahadeva, Pitaliya Dev, Neelkantha, etc. Bawan Devri and Golerao temples (nine in numbers) are Jaina temples. The most important building, though of later period, is the Badal Mahal or Cloud Palace.
Ranthambore Fort, Sawai Madhopur
Ranthambore Fort was built by the Chauhan rulers in the 10th century. It has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site under the group Hill Forts of Rajasthan. The fort is characterized by temples, tanks, massive gates and huge walls. The fort is well protected by a massive fortification wall provided with stepped and Z-shaped gateway with two strong and massive doors. An architectural marvel, the fort includes the Hammir Badi Kachahari, Chhoti Kachahari, Battis Khambha Chhatri, Hamir Palace, Rani Palace, Toran Dwar, Mahadeo Chhatri and Sametonki Haveli within its premises. Among temples, the Ganesa temple is important besides a few Jain temples.
Khandhar Fort, Sawai Madhopur
The imposing Khandar Fort is a place worth visiting and is situated just 45 kms from Sawai Madhopur. Located on top of a strategic vertical hill, could never come under an easy attack and thus was truly regarded as invincible. This magnificent fortification was long ruled by the Sisodia Kings of Mewar after which it was taken over by the Mughals.
Laxmangarh Fort, Sikar
Laxmangarh town is a popular tourist place that is known for the Laxmangarh Fort. The fort was built on the hill in 1862 by Laxman Singh, Rao Raja of Sikar. It is believed that the foundation of the Laxmangarh town was based on the planning system of the capital city Jaipur.
Anupgarh Fort, Sri Ganganagar
Anupgarh Fort is a ruin in the city of Anupgarh. It was built by Anoop Singh Rathore.
Udaipur City Palace
City Palace, Udaipur, was built over a period of nearly 400 years, withcontributions from several rulers of the Mewar dynasty. Construction began in 1553, started by Maharana Udai Singh II of the Sisodia Rajput family as he shifted his capital from the erstwhile Chittor to the new found city of Udaipur.
Lake Palace, Udaipur
Now a hotel, The Lake Palace was originally called Jag Niwas Palace and served as a summer palace. Built between 1743 and 1746 on the island near Jagmandir Palace in Lake Pichhola, the palace, which faces east, is a wondrous sight to behold. The walls made of black and white marbles are adorned by semi-precious stones and ornamented niches. Gardens, fountains, pillared terraces and columns line its courtyards.
Jag Mandir, Udaipur
Jag Mandir is a palace built on an island on the Lake Pichhola. Also called the ‘Lake Garden Palace’, the construction for this began in 1551 and was completed around 1652. The royal family used the palace as its summer resort and for hosting parties. Interestingly, Prince Kurram – later Emperor Shah Jahan – was given shelter here when he rebelled against his father Emperor Jahangir. The palace had such an impact on Emperor Shah Jahan that it went on to become the inspiration for one of the most magnificent Wonders of the World, the Taj Mahal.
Monsoon Palace (Sajjangarh), Udaipur
This 19th century palace is built by Maharana Sajjan Singh on top of Bansdara Mountain. Built with white marble, the palace offers a panoramic view of the city’s lakes, palaces and surrounding countryside.