In Ancient India, the Gupta Dynasty ruled the mid-to-late 3rd century (approximately) to 543 AD. Founded by Sri Gupta, the dynasty rose to fame with rulers like Chandragupta-I, Samudragupta, etc. Before the rise of Gupta’s, Rudrasimha II, of the Western Satraps (Kshatrap), ruled Rajasthan. Samudra Gupta defeated Rudrasimha II in 351 A.D to capture the southern part of Rajasthan. Later, the whole of Rajasthan came of Rajasthan came under the rule of Guptas, when Vikramaditya killed the last Shaka ruler & occupied complete western India.
Gupta Period: Ancient History of Rajasthan
The decline of the Mauryan empire resulted in the rise of two major political powers – the Kushanas and the Satavahanas in the north and south respectively. Both these empires brought political unity and economic growth in their respective areas. The Kushan reign in north India came to an end around c.230 CE and then a good part of central India came under the domain of the Murundas (possible kinsmen of the Kushanas).
The Murundas ruled for only 25 – 30 years. Around the last decade of the 3rd century CE (about 275 CE), the dynasty of the Guptas came to power. The Gupta empire established its control over a good part of the former dominions of both the Kushanas and the Satavahanas. The Guptas (possibly Vaishyas) kept northern India politically united for more than a century (335 CE- 455 CE).
Various Sculptures of Gupta Period are found in Ajmera (Dungarpur), Abhaneri (jaipur), Mandore, Osiyan (Jodhpur), Neelkanth, Sacheli (Alwar) & Kalyanpur, Jagat (Udaipur).
पुरातत्ववेत्ताओं के अनुसार राजस्थान प्राचीन इतिहास पूर्व पाषाणकाल से प्रारंभ होता है। राजस्थान की यह मरुभूमि प्राचीन सभ्यताओं की जन्म स्थली रही है। यहाँ कालीबंगा, आहड़, बैराठ, बागौर, गणेश्वर जैसी अनेक पाषाणकालीन, सिन्धुकालीन और ताम्रकालीन सभ्यताओं का विकास हुआ, जो राजस्थान के इतिहास की प्राचीनता सिद्ध करती है। यह पृष्ठ राजस्थान के प्राचीन इतिहास को 1200 ईसवी तक संग्रहित करता है और इसे दो खंडों में विभाजित किया गया है:
- 900 ईसवी तक
- 900 से – 1200 ईसवी तक
RPSC RAS/RTS Mains Exam Practice/Mock/Solved/Test Papers in Both Hindi and English.
Gupta Empire in Rajasthan
The Gupta Empire was an ancient Indian empire existing from the mid-to-late 3rd century CE to 543 CE. At its zenith, from approximately 319 to 543 CE, it covered much of the Indian subcontinent. This period is called the Golden Age of India (there was peace, development and prosperity in the country) by some historians.
- According to Prayag Prashashthi (Allahabad Inscription), Samundragupta defeated many republican kingdoms.
- Samundra Gupta defeated Rudradaman II in 351 A.D. and captured southern Rajasthan.
- Vikramaditya Defeated last Shaka ruler and whole Rajasthan came under Gupta dynasty.
- Maximum Gupta period coins are found from Bayana (Bharatpur) belonging to Kumar Gupta.
- Baran (Rajasthan) inscription mention about Gupta period.
- Durga Temple (Kota) and Shiv Temple (Chachanura) are the best examples of Gupta Architecture.
Post Gupta Period (Huns, Vardhan and Gurjars)
- In 503 A.D, Toranmal of Hun Dynasty defeated Guptas and captured Rajasthan.
- Mihirkula built Shiva temple in Badauli.
- Later Mihikula was defeated by Narsingh Baladitya Gupta and Rajasthan was preoccupied by Guptas.
- The capital of Gurjar-Pratihar was Bhinmal.
- Chinese traveller Huang Tsang visited Bhinmal during his period.
- Brahmagupta belongs to Bhinmal.
- Gurjar Pratihar stopped Arab invasion from North West.