India Rank in different Index Reports-2019
Cancer Preparedness Index 2019 – India Ranks 19th
• India was ranked 19th out of 28 countries in the Index.
• Index is released by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).
• Top 3 countries are Australia (1st), Netherlands (2nd) and Germany (3rd).
• Bottom three are Saudi Arabia (28th), Romania (27th) and Egypt (26th).
Global Startup Ecosystem – India was ranked 17th position among 100 countries
• It was released by Startup Blink.
• The report ranks countries based on the strength of its startup ecosystem.
• China was ranked 27th.
• Bangalore, New Delhi, and Mumbai were the top cities in the Indian startup ecosystem.
• Top three countries are: United States, United Kingdom and Canada.
India Ranks 140th in World Press Freedom Index –
• India ranked 140th out of 180 countries in the World Press Freedom Index 2019.
• Index is released by Reporters without Borders.
• The index is topped by Norway followed by Finland and Sweden.
WEF Global Energy Transition Index – India rank 76th on a global energy transition index
• The report stated that India is amongst the countries with high pollution levels and has a relatively high CO2 intensity in its energy system.
• Sweden remains on the top and is followed by Switzerland and Norway in the top three.
• The index is compiled by Geneva-based World Economic Forum (WEF).
World Happiness Report 2019 – India is ranked 140th out of 156 nations
• The World Happiness Report was released by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network for the United Nations.
• For the second consecutive year, Finland topped the list.
• Denmark ranked second followed by Norway.
• Pakistan ranked 67th, Bhutan 95th, China 93rd, Bangladesh 125th, and Sri Lanka 130th while South Sudan ranked last in the World Happiness Report.
India Ranks 11th in Gold Holding: WGC Report – The World Gold Council its latest report highlights the quantum of gold holding by the different countries.
• India has the 11th largest gold reserve and the current holding pegged at 607 tonnes.
• The top spot is occupied by US gold reserves of 8,133.5 tonnes, followed by Germany with 3,369.7 tonnes.
• International Monetary Fund (IMF) ranks third on the list with total gold reserves of 2,814 tonnes.
• The World Gold Council is the market development organisation for the gold industry and it aims to stimulate and sustain demand for gold, provide industry leadership, and be the global authority on the gold market.
• The members of the World Gold Council include gold mining companies
India ranks 16th in terms of Highest Number of impacted Species in Hotspots – A recent study published in PLOS Biology found that human impacts on species occur across 84% of the earth’s surface and India ranks 16th in such impacts, with 35 species impacted on an average.
• Malaysia ranks 1st among the countries with the highest number of impacted species (125).
• Southeast Asian tropical forests, including those in India’s Western Ghats, Himalaya, and north-east, are among the ‘hotspots’ of threatened species.
• However, these very areas are also ‘cool-spots’ (the world’s last refuges where high numbers of threatened species still persist).
Inclusive Internet Index 2019 – India has been ranked 47th.
• Sweden has topped the rankings followed by Singapore and the US.
• The Inclusive Internet Index 2019 was prepared by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) for Facebook.
• The ‘Inclusive Internet’ score was based on the scores of availability, affordability, relevance and readiness categories.
International IP index 2019
• India has jumped eight places to 36th position on the International Intellectual Property (IP) Index
• The US, the UK, Sweden, France and Germany remained the top five economies on the intellectual property index in 2019
• In 2018, India was ranked at 44th position.
Corruption Perception Index 2018
• India has improved its ranking by 3 points by moving onto 78th position in the Corruption Perceptions Index 2018 published by Transparency International.
• China and Pakistan, in a list of 180 countries, lagged far behind than India at 87th and 117th position respectively.
• Somalia has been ranked last with a score of 10 behind South Sudan and Syria.
India ranks 54th in ‘Bloomberg Innovation Index’ of 60 economies
• For the first time ever, India has been ranked in Bloomberg’s 2019 list of most innovative countries in the world countries in the Bloomberg Innovation Index with a score of 47.93 out of 100.
• South Korea has topped the Bloomberg Innovation Index for the sixth time in a row with a total score of 87.38.
• Germany ranked second, Finland stood on the third spot.
Global Talent Competitive Index 2019
• India ranked at 80th positions on the Global Talent Competitive Index (GTCI) 2019.
• The index is released by INSEAD business school in partnership with Tata Communications and Adecco Group.
• Switzerland topped the index which is followed by Singapore and the US.
• Last year in 2018, India was ranked at 81st position.
Democracy Index 2019: The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) has released the Democracy Index which ranks 167 countries by 60 indicators across five broad categories.
• Top 3 countries in the list are – Norway, Iceland and Sweden.
• Australia and New Zealand are the only “full democracies” in the entire Asia-Pacific region
• India was at the 41st place with a score of 7.23/10 and was placed in the flawed democracies category.
India Ranks 79th, Japan Tops List of Most Powerful Passports – According to the Henley Passport Index, India jumped two positions from 81st in 2018 to 79th in 2019. Japan retained its top spot as the world’s most travel-friendly passport.
India 6th in GDPR Readiness Index: CISCO – Nearly 65% of Indian organizations are better prepared for the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), making the country the sixth leading nation globally in the GDPR readiness index, global networking leader, according to CISCO.
World Bank’s ease-of-doing-business 2019: India ranked at 77
• India’s jumped 23 places to 77 among 190 countries in the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business 2019 index.
• The World Bank on October 31, 2018 released the Doing Business Report 2019 titled as ‘Doing Business 2019: Training for Reform’, assessing doing business in the year 2018.
• In its annual ‘Doing Business’ 2019 report, the World Bank said India has improved on six of the 10 parameters on starting and doing business in a country.
• The biggest improvements have been in the indicators related “construction permits” and “trading across borders.
• Last year, India ranked at 100th position.
Climate Change Performance Index 2019
• India ranked at 11th position.
• As per the Index, Sweden has topped the list while India was on 11th position.
• Saudi Arabia came last, in 60th place, partly due to its obstructive role during international climate negotiations.
WEF Gender Gap Index 2018
• India has been ranked 108th in World Economic Forum (WEF) gender gap index 2018 business rankings are New Zealand, Singapore, and Denmark.
IMD World Talent Ranking: India Ranks 53rd
• Switzerland has topped the list of the IMD World Talent Ranking 2018 for the fifth year in a row.
• Among the BRICS countries, South Africa remains in the middle position (50th) performing better than India (53rd) and Brazil (58th) but lagging behind China (39th) and Russia (46th).
The Top 3 countries in the list are:
• Switzerland, Denmark, Norway
• As per the WEF’s Global Gender Gap Report 2018, Iceland topped the list having closed more than 85.8% of its overall gender gap.
• The Report was published for total 149 countries.
• Norway and Sweden were on 2nd and 3rd position, respectively.