India to Chair Kimberley Process
- The Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS) Plenary 2018 was held in Brussels, Belgium.
- European Union has passed on the Chairmanship of KPCS to India from 1st January 2019.
- India was the Vice-Chair during the period of 2017-2018.
Kimberley Process (KP):
- It is a binding agreement that imposes extensive requirements on every participant to remove conflict diamonds from the global supply chain.
- It has the underlying support of the United Nations mandate.
Conflict diamonds: Conflict diamonds are the ‘rough diamonds used to finance wars against governments’ around the world.
India is the founding member of KPCS and is actively involved in KP activities to ensure that almost 99% of the diamond trade in the world is conflict free.
India is at the forefront in addressing the issue of differentiation between Natural Diamonds and Lab Grown Diamonds and ensures responsible business in this area.
India chaired the Ad hoc Committee on Review and Reform (AHCRR).