Lakes in Rajasthan: Geography of Rajasthan
June 12, 2019
RPSC RAS/RTS Mains Exam Practice/Mock/Solved/Test Papers in Both Hindi and English.
In Rajasthan, Lakes are divided into two categories
- Saltwater Lake and
- Fresh (Sweet) Water Lake
Salt Water Lakes
- It is India’s largest inland Salt Water Lake.
- It has been designated as a Ramsar site because this wetland is a favourite spot for migratory birds like Pink Flamingo.
- The total area of the lake is 150 sq. km.
- The lake receives water from five rivers Merta, Samand, Mantha, Roopangarh and khandel.
- It is a natural lake, is located at Nagaur district of Rajasthan.
- It is 2km broad and 4km long.
- The Production of salt produced is non-edible grade because of high fluoride.
- It is located in Barmer district.
- This is also a Natural Lake, is a salt lake near Pachpadra in Barmer, Rajasthan.
- Its sodium chloride level is marked at Approx 98%.
- The total area of this Lake is 25 Sq. km.
- It is located in Lunkaransar, 80 km away from Bikaner.
- It is also Natural and a salt water lake.
- Some other famous Salt Water Lakes are Phalodi, Kuchaman, Kovaad, Kachhor, Rewasa, etc.
2. Fresh (Sweet) Water Lake
- Due to the scarcity of water in Rajasthan, this freshwater lakes act as boons for people of Rajasthan.
Important Fresh Water Lakes of Rajasthan
- It was constructed by Maharana Jaising by building the dam on Gomati River from 1685 to 1691.
- It is located 51 km southeast of Udaipur.
- It is also called Dhebar Lake.
- It is the biggest natural lake of Rajasthan.
It was constructed by Maharana Rajsingh in 1662.
On the bank of this, lakes many inscriptions are there which tells about the history of Mewar.
- Lake Pichhola, an artificial fresh water lake, situated on the heart of the Udaipur city in Rajasthan.
- It was built in 1362 AD by a Banjara and & named after the nearby Picholi village.
- There are four islands on the lake: Jag Niwas, where the Lake Palace is built, Jag Mandir, with the palace of the same name, Mohan Mandir and Arsi Vilas.
- The Pichhola Lake and the Swaroop Sagar Lake are connected by an arched bridge built by Maharana Swaroop Singh during 1842-1861.
- One has Jag Mandir (Temple) and second has Jag Nivas named palaces.
Fateh Sagar Lake
This is an artificial lake was initially built by Maharana Jai Singh in north-west of Udaipur in the year 1678 but it was reconstructed by Maharana Fateh Singh in 1888.
It was inaugurated by the Duke of Connaught and was initially called Connaught Bundh.
There are Udaipur Solar Observatory, impressive water-jet fountain and Nehru Park – Popular picnic spot.
It is an artificial lake situated in the city of Ajmer.
It was built by Arnoraja alias Anaji, the grandfather of Prithviraj Chauhan, in 1135 -1150 AD and is named after him.
The five Baradari or pavilions, between the garden and the lake, were built by Shahjahan in 1637. On its bank, there’s a garden called “Daulat Baug by Jehangir.
- It is located in Ajmer district surrounded by mountains.
- This is also known as Pushkar Sarovar, is located in Pushkar.
- Pushkar Lake is a sacred lake of the Hindus. The Hindu scriptures describe it as “Tirtha-Raj” – the king of Pilgrimage sites related to a water-body and relate it to the mythology of the creator-god Brahma, whose most prominent temple stands in Pushkar.
- The Pushkar Lake finds mention on coins as early as the 4th century BC.
- It is located in Alwar district in between Aravalli Range.
Some other famous lakes are Navlakkha Lake (Bundi), Kolayat Lake (Bikaner), Shaiva Sagar (Dungarpur), Galati and Ramgarh (Jaipur), Balsamand Lake (Jodhpur), Kailana Lake (Jodhpur), etc.
UPSC IAS Prelims 2020
- Ancient History of Rajasthan
- Art and Culture-Rajasthan
- Current Affairs-India
- Current Affairs-Rajasthan
- Current-Question Bank
- Daily Current Affairs
- Daily MCQ
- Daily Practice Question
- Economy of India
- Economy of Rajasthan
- Economy Question Bank
- Electrical Engineering
- Environment Question Bank
- General Knowledge
- General Science
- General Studies
- Geography of India
- Geography of Rajasthan
- Geography Question Bank
- History of India
- History of Rajasthan
- History Question Bank
- IAS Prelims 2019
- IAS Prelims 2020
- IAS Prelims Result
- IAS Prelims Test Series
- Indian Polity
- Latest Govt Scheme
- Polity of Rajasthan
- Polity Question Bank
- Previous year solved paper
- Public Administration Paper-3
- Public Administration Rajasthan
- Rajasthan Daily MCQ Test
- Rajasthan GK
- Rajasthan GK Practice MCQ
- RAS Mains
- RAS Mains Sociology Test
- RAS Mains Test Series
- RAS Prelims
- Science and Technology
- Solved papers
- Sports & Yoga
- Test Series
- UPSC IAS Mains
- UPSC Prelims 2020
- World Geography
- UPSC IAS Mains Previous Year Papers
- 2. Assess the importance of the accounts of the Chinese and Arab travellers in the reconstruction of the history of India.
- 1. Safeguarding the Indian art heritage is the need of the moment. Discuss
- IAS Prelims 2020: GS Paper Test-4
- General Science Question Bank for all exams- PDF download
- Mahatma Gandhi: Biography and GK Questions PDF download
- Current Affairs Question (1-15) July 2019 Free Download
- (Free) Current Affairs Question Bank June-July 2019 PDF download
- RPSC RAS Mains Exam 2018-19 Question Paper
- UPSC IAS Mains: Natural Resources in India & World
- UPSC IAS Mains: Political philosophies like communism capitalism and socialism
- UPSC IAS Mains: Poverty and Developmental Issues
- UPSC IAS Prelims 2019 Result declared
- UPSC IAS Mains: Population and Associated Issues
- UPSC IAS Mains: Urbanization Their Problems and Their Remedies
- UPSC IAS Mains: earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone
- UPSC IAS Mains: Effects of Globalisation on Indian Society
- UPSC IAS Mains: Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism
- Salient features of world’s physical geography
- UPSC IAS Prelims Exam 2020 Weekly Test-2
- Half Yearly Current Affairs Question Bank: January – July 2019
- Economic Survey 2019: Key Highlights & Facts of the Economic Survey 2019
- Economy of Rajasthan Complete Study Material with Practice Questions
- Rajasthan History Complete Study Book with Practice Questions
- UPSC Prelims Last 10 Years Solved Questions GS Paper-I
- Indian Economy: UPSC Prelims Previous Year Solved Questions
- Indian History Previous Year UPSC Prelims Question Bank
- Polity & Constitution: UPSC IAS Prelims Previous Year Solved Questions
- Geography Solved Questions asked in UPSC IAS Prelims Previous Exams
- General Studies Practice Test -3
- Test Series: UPSC IAS Prelims Exam 2020
- Vision IAS Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- General Studies Test – 3
- Rajasthan GK – Test 3
- General Studies Practice Test-2
- Rajasthan GK – Test 2
- UPSC Prelims 2019 Question Topics – 100 Areas from which UPSC Framed Questions
- General Studies Practice Test-1
- Rajasthan Gk Test-1
- Current Affairs MCQ from January – July 2019 for All Competitive Exams
- National Parks in Rajasthan
- Wildlife and its Conservation in Rajasthan
- BREEDS OF GOAT LIVESTOCK IN RAJASTHAN
- Breeds of Cow – Livestock in Rajasthan
- Cattle and Buffalo Breeds of Rajasthan
- Thar the Great Indian desert
- Semi-Arid Transitional Plain or Rajasthan Bagar
- Mountains, Peaks and Aravalli Ranges- Geography of Rajasthan
- Introduction:Geography of Rajasthan
- India and Tropic of Cancer
- UPSC IAS PRELIMS ANSWER KEY 2019 WITH SOLUTION
- OPERATION GREENS
- Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019
- HIV/AIDS ACT
- Women’s Reservation Bill
- Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan
- “Safe City Surveillance” Scheme
- National Register of Citizens
- Cauvery Water Dispute Verdict
- Article 35A
- Mission Antyodaya
- Chakma and Hajong Refugees
- NITI Aayog releases Strategy for New India @ 75
- Global Skills Park (GSP) in Madhya Pradesh
- World Custom Organization
- North East Industrial Development Scheme (NEIDS)
- India to Chair Kimberley Process
- 250-Important topics for UPSC IAS Prelims Exam 2019
- (MCQ) Current Affairs April-June 2019
- The Ochre Colored Pottery or OCP culture: Ancient History of Rajasthan
- Ahar – Banas Culture of Rajasthan
- Ancient Civilizations of Rajasthan
- Archaeological Sites in Rajasthan: Ancient History
- Gupta Period: Ancient History of Rajasthan
- Mauryan Period: Ancient History of Rajasthan
- Mahajanapadas of Rajasthan: Ancient History of Rajasthan
- Stone Age: Ancient History of Rajasthan
- Economy of Rajasthan Study Notes with Practice MCQ
- Lakes in Rajasthan: Geography of Rajasthan
- River system: Geography of Rajasthan
- Humidity in Rajasthan: Geography of Rajasthan
- Classification and distribution of soils in Rajasthan
- Distribution of Rainfall in Rajasthan: Geography of Rajasthan
- Weather Seasons of Rajasthan: Geography of Rajasthan
- Temperature Variation in Rajasthan: Geography of Rajasthan
- Climate and Climatic Regions of Rajasthan: Geography of Rajasthan
- Plains of Rajasthan: Geography of Rajasthan
- Aravalli Range & Hilly Region: Geography of Rajasthan
- Southeastern Rajasthan Pathar or Hadoti Plateau: Geography of Rajasthan
- Western Sandy Plains: Geography of Rajasthan
- IAS Prelims 2019: Shubhra Ranjan Economy MCQ with Explanation
- (PDF) Historical Places of Rajasthan : State Gazetteer
- (PDF) Public Administration and welfare of Rajasthan : State Gazetteer
- (PDF) Economic Structure of Rajasthan : State Gazetteer
- (PDF) History and Culture of Rajasthan: State Gazetteer
- (PDF) Land and The People of Rajasthan: State Gazetteer
- (PDF) RPSC RAS Mains Exam Free Yoga ebook
- RAS Mains Exam : Springboard Solved Test Papers in Hindi