Medieval History of Rajasthan (700 A.D. To 1700 A.D)
- Gurjar-Pratihar of Bhinmal
- Guhil Dynasty of Mewar
- Sisodiya Dynasty of Mewar
- Rathod Dynasty of Marwar
- Rathod of Bikaner
- Kachwaha of Amber
- Chauhan Dynasty
- Chauhan of Ranthambore
- Chauhan of Jalore
- Hada Chauhan of Bundi
- Hada Chauhan of Kota
- Parmar of Abu
Raja Nagbhatta I
- Founder of Bhinmal branch of Pratihar.
- Made triple alliance with Bappa Rawal and Jaisimha to defeat Arabs.
- First Pratihar king to occupy Kannauj.
- He defeated Dharmapala of Gaud Dynasty and defeated by Dhruva of Rashtrakuta dynasty.
Raja Nagbhatta II
- Occupied Kannauj.
- Defeated Dharmapala in the battle of Mudgagiri.
- Defeated by Govinda of Rashtrakuta.
Raja Mihir Bhoj
- Defeated Devpala of Bengal.
- Arab traveller Suleiman visited his court in 851 A.D.
- Last ruler of this dynasty.
- His rule came to an end due to emerging of Gazni power.
Guhil Dynasty of Mewar
- In 566 A.D. Guhil established this dynasty.
- He established independent city Nagda (Udaipur).
- Original Name was Kaalbhoj
- In 734, he defeated Maan Mori and took Chittorgarh under his control and made Nagada his capital.
- At first, started gold coin in Rajasthan.
- He built Eklingji Temple in Udaipur.
Allat (943 A.D. to 953 A.D.)
- Original Name is Alu Rawal
- Built Varah Temple of Ahar.
- Married Hun Princess Hariyadevi.
- Established bureaucracy in Mewar.
Jaitra Singh (1213-1253 A.D.)
- Fought battle of Bhutala and defeated the army of Iltutmish.
- He made Chittor his new capital.
- His reign is called Golden Age of Medieval Mewar.
Ratan Singh (1302-1303 A.D.)
- AllauddinKhilji defeated him and he was killed.
- After his death, his wife Padmavati committed Jauhar.
- This was biggest Saka of Chittor and first Saka of Rajasthan.
- Gora and Badal, two commanders showed courage during the battle.
- In 1540 A.D. Malik Mohammed Jayasi wrote Padmavat in which he mentioned the beauty of Queen Padmavati.
Rana Hammir (1326-1364)
- Fought Battle of Sugoli with Mohammad Bin Tughlaq.
- Built the Annapurna Mata Temple of Chittorgarh Fort.
Khetri Singh (1364-82)
- He captured Zafar Khan, Sultan of Gujarat.
- Son of Hammir
Rana Lakha (1382-1421)
- He married Hansa Bai, princess of Marwar.
- His son Rana Choonda took the oath that not to come on the throne. Thus he is also called Bhishmapitamah of Mewar.
Rana Mokul Singh (1421-33)
- He reconstructed Samidheshwar Temple in Chittoor.
- In 1433, he was murdered in Zilwada.
Rana Kumha (1433-68)
- Defeated Mahmud Khilji, Sultan of Malwa, in battle of Sarangpur (Mandalgarh).
- He erected Vijay Stambh (sign of Rajasthan police) after this victory which is 37 meters tall and 10 meter in width having 9 floors.
- It is compared with Qutub Minar.
- Rana Kumbha defeated the joint army of Mahmud Khilji and Qutbuddin of Gujarat in 1456.
- Important fort built by Kumbha- (1) Kumbhalgarh (2) Achalgarh (3) Basantgarh
- Important books written by Kumbha- (1) Rasik Priya (2) Sudha Prabhandh (3) Sangeet Raj (5 part) (6) Sangeet Sudha (7) Kamaraj Ratisaar
- He gave patronage to many scholars in his court. Important are- (a) Mandan (b) Kanh Vyas (c) Ramabai (d) Muni Sundar Suri etc.
- He was a musician as well.
- He was killed by his son Ooda Singh or Udai Singh.
Rana Udai Singh (1468-73)
- He killed his father Rana Kumbha and came to the throne.
- Ramuel, his brother, defeated him and ascended the throne.
Rana Sanga (1508-1528)
- In 1517 and 1519, he fought the battle of Khatoli and Bari respectively with Ibrahim Lodhi and defeated him in both the battles.
- In 1519, he defeated MehmudKhilji in the battle of Gagron.
- In 1527, he was defeated in the battle of Khanwa by Babur.
- The important king who took part in the battle of Khanwa (Maldev- Marwar, Medini Rai- Chanderi, Mahmood Lodhi (small brother of Ibrahim Lodhi)
- He died at Kalpi (M.P.)
Maharana Udai Singh (1537-1572)
- Saved by Panna Dhai in the childhood
- In 1557, fought the battle of Harmada with Haji Khan Pathan who was governor of Ajmer.
- In 1559, he founded Udaipur and constructed Udai Sagar Lake.
- In 1568 Akbar attacked and Jaimal and Fatta was killed
Maharana Pratap (1572-1597)
- In 1576, He fought the battle of Haldighati with Akbar and was defeated by Akbar. Akbar deputed Man Singh against Maharana Pratap.
- Thermopylae of Rajasthan – James Tod
- Kumbhalgarh war (1577, 1578, 1579) between (Sahbaz v/s Pratap)
- His horse’s name was Chetak who was injured in this battle and later died. Chetak’s cremation is in Balicha Village.
- In 1582, he fought Battle of Diver.
- In 1597. He died in Chawand.
Karan Singh (1620-1628)
- He started construction of Jagmandir Palace of Udaipur.
Jagjit Singh I (1628-52)
- He finished the construction of Jagmandir Palace of Udaipur.
- He constructed Jagdish Temple of Udaipur.
Raj Singh (1652-80)
- He protested against Jajiya Tax by Aurangzeb
- Supported Aurangzeb in the fight of Successor
Jai Singh (1680-98)
- He built Jaisamand Lake.
- He founded this dynasty.
- In 1273, he died protecting cows in Bithu village.
- The real founder of Rathod dynasty in Mewar.
- He was killed in a battle with Salim Shah of Multan.
Rao Jodha (1438-89)
- He established city Jodhpur.
- He constructed Mehrgarh Fort.
- His 5th son Bika established Bikaner.
Rao Maldeo (1532-1562)
- He killed his father and ascended the throne.
- In 1541, he defeated Jaitasi of Bikaner.
- In 1543, he was defeated by Sher Shah Suri in Battle of Sumail.
Rao Chandra Sen (1562-1565)
- He was defeated by the Mughal but still denied to form an alliance with them.
- He is called Pratap of Marwar.
Raja Udai Singh (1583-1595)
- He established a marital relation with Mughals.
- His daughter Mani Bai was married to Jahangir.
Maharaja Jaswant Singh (1638-1678)
- He wrote BhasaBhusan, Anand Vilas, Prabodh Chandrodaya and AparokshaSidhanta Saar.
Raja Rai Singh (1659-1659)
Maharaja Ajit Singh (1679-1724)
Rathod of Bikaner
Rao Bika (1465-1504)
- In 1465, he established Rathod dynasty in Bikaner region.
- In 1488, established Bikaner.
Rao Naroji (1504-05)
Rao Lunkaran (1505-1526)
Rao Jait Singh (1526-1542)
Rao Kalyan Singh (1542-1571)
Raja Raj Singh I (1571-1611)
- Akbar gave 51 Pargana to him.
- He constructed Junagadh Fort in Bikaner.
- He wrote ‘Rai Singh Mahotsav’.
Maharaja Rao Anup Singh (1669-1698)
- He wrote ‘Anup Vivek’, ‘Kaam Prabodh’,’ ShraddhPrayog Chintamani’, ‘Anupodaya.’
Maharaja Rao Sarup Singh (1698-1700)
Maharaja Sir Rao Sadul Singh (1943-1950)
- He was the last ruler of Bikaner and merged in present Rajasthan state and signed the instrument of accession to the dominion of India.
- He was feudal of Rana Sanga; therefore, he fought Battle with Babur in the Battle of Khanwa.
- The accepted sovereignty of Akbar.
- The first king of Rajasthan to accept sovereignty and establish a marital relation with Mughal.
- Suppress Mirza revolt in Sarnal Battle. Thus he was given Nagada and Parcham by Akbar as the award.
- His daughter was married to Jahangir.
- He was made Subedar of Kabul, Bihar and Bengal.
- Established Maanpur city in Bihar
- He established Akbarnagar city in Bengal.
- Began the construction of forts of Amber
- Constructed Radha Govind Temple in Vrindavan
Mirza Raja Jaisingh
- Ruled for the maximum period in Jaipur (46 Years)
- Shah Jahan titled him ‘Mirza Raja’.
- On 11 June 1665, Treaty of Purandar was signed between Shivaji and Jaisingh.
- He constructed Jaigarh Fort in Jaipur.
Sawai Jai Singh
- He saw the reign of seven Mughal Badshah.
- Changed the name of Amber to Islamabad.
- His Purohit was ‘PundarikRatnagar’.
- In 1747, he defeated Madho Singh in the Battle of Rajmahal on the bank of river Banas.
- 1748, he was defeated by Madho Singh in the Battle of Bagru.
- After this defeat, he committed suicide.
- In 551 A.D. he established Chauhan dynasty.
- According to Bijoliya inscription, he constructed Sambhar Lake.
- In 1113 he established Ajmer city.
- He built Ajmer fort.
- He constructed Anasagar Lake in Ajmer.
- Also constructed Varah Temple in Pushkar.
- He took away Delhi from Tomar dynasty.
- He constructed a school later QutubuddinAibak built Dhai Din Ka Jhopda in place of this school.
- In 1182, he defeated Chandel ruler Parmarardidev in Battle of Mahoba.
- 1191, he defeated Mohammad Ghori in First Battle of Panipat.
- 1192, he was defeated by Mohammad Ghori in Second Battle of Panipat.
- Moinuddin Chisti came to India during his reign.
- He constructed Pithoragarh near Delhi.
- Kaimash and Bhuvanmalla were his two ministers.
- After the death of Prithviraj III, his son Govindraj established his rule in Ranthambore.
- In 1299, he defeated the army of Alauddin Khilji led by Ulugh Khan and Nusrat Khan.
- Nusrat Khan was killed in this battle.
- After that Allauddin Khilji raids the Ranthambore fort with his army and defeats them.
- 1301, first Siege of Ranthambore took place. This was the first Siege of Rajasthan.
- He fought 17 battle in his life in which he only lost the last one.
- Founder of this branch of Chauhan was Kirtipal.
- In inscriptions, Jalore is mentioned as Jabalipur.
- Allauddin Khilji changed the name of Siwana to Khairabad.
- In 1241, Deva Hada defeated Jait Meena and occupied Bundi.
- 1354, Barsingh constructed Taragarh fort of Bundi.
- Rao Surjan constructed Ranchhod Temple in Dwarika.
- Budhhasingh wrote ‘Nehtarang’.
- Maratha interference took place during the reign of Budhhasingh.
- In 1631, Madho Singh founded this state.
- Mukund Singh constructed AbaliMeeni Palace in Kota.