Recently, the Ministry of Defence has signed Rs. 557 crore contracts with the BEML Limited (formerly known as the Bharat Earth Movers Limited) for the procurement of 1,512 mine ploughs for T-90 Tanks.
- The induction is expected to be completed by 2027.
- Join our Official Telegram Channel HERE for Motivation and Fast Updates
- Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Motivational and New analysis videos
- T-90 Tanks:
- These Russian-origin tanks are the Indian Army’s main battle tanks.
- Indian Army recently deployed them in the Galwan Valley sector of Ladakh amid the face-off with Chinese troops.
- Mine Ploughs:
- Mine ploughs help tanks to clear minefields and minimize risks to men and machines.
- After being fitted on T-90 Tanks, they will facilitate individual mobility to the tanks while negotiating a minefield.
- The mobility of the tank fleet will enhance manifolds which in turn would extend the reach of the armoured formations deep into enemy territory without becoming a mine casualty.
- The decision is expected to boost the government’s ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- As per the procedure, the contract has Buy and Make (Indian) categorisation with a minimum of 50% indigenous content in the Make portion.
- It was established in 1964 as a Public Sector Undertaking (PSU).
- It has partially disinvested and presently the Government of India owns 54% of total equity and the rest 46% is held by public and financial institutions, foreign institutional investors, banks and employees.
- The company operates under three major business verticals viz. Mining and Construction, Defence and Rail and Metro.