It was launched in 2015 by ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation with an objective to clean and protect the Ganga River in a comprehensive manner.
It is also known as Integrated Ganga Conservation Mission Project and it’s a Central government Project (100% centrally funded). It will cover 8 states & 12 rivers.
Main components include Expanding waste/sewage treatment, River Front Development, River surface cleaning, Biodiversity, Afforestation, Public awareness, Industrial effluent monitoring and Ganga Gram.
Interventions taken under Namami Ganga include-
- Sustainable Municipal Sewage Management
- Managing Sewage from Rural Areas.
- Managing Industrial discharge and pollution abatement
- Enforcing River Regulatory Zones on Ganga Banks, Restoration and Conservation of wetlands, Efficient Irrigation methods.
- Ensuring Ecological rejuvenation by conservation of aquatic life and biodiversity
- Promotion of Tourism and Shipping in a rational and sustainable manner
- Knowledge Management on Ganga through Ganga Knowledge Centre