National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology
- The Mission, launched in 2009, is a landmark initiative of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), with the objective of seamlessly providing quality educational content to all the eligible and willing learners in India.
- It has been envisaged to leverage the potential of ICT, in the teaching and learning process for the benefit of all the learners in Higher Education Institutions.
- Initiatives under the Program
- SWAYAM: The Study Webs of Active Learning for Young Aspiring Minds’ (SWAYAM) is an integrated platform for offering online courses, covering school (9th to 12th) to Postgraduate Level.
- SWAYAM Prabha – It is an initiative to provide 32 High Quality Educational Channels through DTH (Direct to Home) across the length and breadth of the country on a 24X7 basis.
- National Digital Library of India (NDL) – It is a project to develop a framework of virtual repository of learning resources with a single-window search facility.
- Spoken Tutorial – They are 10-minute long, audio-video tutorials, on open source software, to improve employment potential of students.
- Free and Open Source Software for Education (FOSSEE) – It is a project promoting the use of open source software in educational institutions.
- E-Yantra – It is a project for enabling effective education across engineering colleges in India on embedded systems and robotics.
Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme
- It was started in 2002 by the Ministry of Human Resources and Development with the assistance of the World Bank and is being implemented in a phased manner .
- It aims to upscale the quality of technical education and enhance capacities of institutions.
- The Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme III (TEQIP-III) was started in 2017 and will be completed by 2021.
- It aims to develop technical education as a key component for improving the quality of Engineering Education.
- The Objective is to improve quality and equity in engineering institutions in focus states such as in low income states.