UPSC IAS Mains Exam Study Notes
General Studies Paper – II
(Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations)
- Salient Features of the Constitution of India: The Preamble, Fundamental Rights and Duties, Directive Principles; Parliamentary System and Amendment Procedures; Judicial Review and Basic Structure doctrine
- Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act
- Role of Civil Services in a Democracy
- E Governance– applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential
- Issues relating to poverty and hunger
- Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies
- Development processes and the development industry- the role of NGOs
- Mechanisms, Laws, Institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable section
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes
- Separation of powers between various organs
- India and Its Neighbourhood Relations
- Pressure Groups and formal/Informal Associations and Their Role In The Polity
- Comparison of The Indian Constitutional Scheme With That of Other Countries
- Appointment to Various Constitutional Posts, Powers, Functions and Responsibilities of various Constitutional Bodies
- Functions and Responsibilities of The Union and the States
IAS Main (Written) Exam: General Studies II: How to Prepare
IAS Main (Written) Exam General Studies II is concerned with Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International Relations.
Proportion of Indian Polity was more in IAS Main (Written) Exam General Studies II. Indian polity was covered comprehensively in the question paper. Questions were asked from Parliamentary System, Fundamental Rights, State Government, Centre and State Relationships, Separation of Powers, State Government, etc. Initiatives and issues related to the Public Health System were also covered. Further, more questions were figured from international relation. Most of questions from this section were current issues oriented and related to neighboring countries. Questions asked in IAS Mains (Written) Exam General Studies Paper II were interdisciplinary and analytical.
Following points would help to prepare for this exam efficiently:
- It is advised that first of all go through the syllabus of IAS Main (Written) Exam General Studies Paper II.
- Candidates must have understanding with respect to weightage given to different sections of syllabus. Candidates can go through the previous year question paper to have general idea about weightage and proportion of different sections and requirement of exam.
- Candidates can start with basic NCERT Books. Candidates must note here that NCERT Books on polity are sufficient for building basics of polity but these books do not cover entire syllabus prescribed by the UPSC for IAS Main (Written) Exam General Studies Paper II. Candidate must consult standards books for detailed study.
- Further, questions being asked are current issues oriented. Candidates must keep strict watch on recent issues and developments. Candidates can read Hindu and other standard magazines for keeping updates of recent developments.