Education is the key for women to achieve economic freedom. Although women in the country enjoy right to an education but equal access to education is a problem for the country. The Rajasthan government has taken various steps towards women primary education in India.
The Rajasthan government has launched several initiatives aimed at promoting women’s employment. The ‘Mukhya Mantri Kaushal Anudaan Yojana’ provides financial assistance to women to acquire skills and start their businesses. The ‘Sakhi Mandals scheme provides training and support to women to start their enterprises.
Steps taken by government of Rajasthan to promote education for girls
The initiatives taken are as follows:
- The Rajasthan Aapki Beti Yojana is a scheme launched by the government of Rajasthan to provide financial assistance to families for the education and marriage of their daughters. Some of the benefits and features of the scheme include: Financial assistance of ₹ 10,000 per annum for the education of the girl.
- The Government of Rajasthan has initiated the scheme entitled ”Mukhyamantri Rajshree Yojana” in which the Government grants a subsidy of Rs.50,000 to the families on birth of the girl child. This scheme aims to improve the economic empowerment of girls in promoting education and provide them with a better future.
- Opening up of Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya during the year 2017-18 200 ‘Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya’ (KGBV) are functioning and 19,984 girls are studying in these schools.
- ‘Mewat Balika Awasiya Vidyalaya’: Nine of these schools are functioning. These residential schools are established for girls in Mewat region which is largely educationally backward.
- ‘Meena Manch ‘has been constituted by involving girls studying in the classes IV to VIII of 19,106 upper primary schools including 9,895 Adarsh School and 200 KGBVs to create awareness in the community on various social issues, viz child marriage, dowry system, etc and to motivate the parents of irregular, dropout and never enrolled girls to send their daughters to school.
- ‘Adhyapika Manch ‘has been established to enhance the academic level of girls and to provide friendly environment to girl child in schools. 301 Adhyapika Manch has been formed at block level.
Innovation for girls education (Under SSA), ‘Saksham’ (self-defensive training to girls) in approximately 14,000 government schools and 200 KGBV across all 33 districts of Rajasthan and ‘Jagriti’ (Awareness among community for girls education in Selected 17 districts, which include 14 Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao and 7 Special focus districts) schemes are being implemented to promote enrolment, retention and learning enhancement of girls.
Rajasthan, a state in India, has made significant progress towards women’s empowerment in recent years. The state government has implemented several programme aimed at educating gender equality and empowerment women’s. In this blog, we will explore some of the initiatives undertaken by the Rajasthan government to empower women and the impact they have had.
Women’s Education in Rajasthan
The Rajasthan government has taken significant steps to improve girls’ education in the state. Several government initiatives have been initiated to enhance or improve or enrich girls’ enrollment and retention rates in schools. These programs include the ‘Padho Pardesh’ scheme, which provides financial assistance to girls from economically weaker sections to pursue higher education abroad, and the ‘Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya’ scheme, which provides free education to girls from marginalized communities.
As a result of these initiatives, the literacy rate among women in Rajasthan has increased from 43.85% in 2001 to 56.97% in 2011, according to the Census of India.