- Spirulina is a biomass of cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) that can be consumed by humans and animals.
- The three species are Arthrospira platensis, A. fusiformis, and A. maxima.
- It is cultivated worldwide, Arthrospira is used as a dietary supplement or whole food.
- It is also used as a feed supplement in the aquaculture, aquarium, and poultry industries.
- Recently Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI) has developed Spirulina groundnut candy.
- It can provide micro-nutrients and boost immunity of people during this time of pandemic.