1. Consider the following statements regarding Soil Degradation.
- Soil degradation occurs when the nutritional status declines and depth of the soil goes down due to erosion and misuse.
- Once the soil forming processes is complete, the erosional processes start and both does not go simultaneously.
- Wind Erosion takes place mainly in the form of sheet and gully erosion.
Which of the above statements is/are ?
a) 1 only
b) 1, 2
c) 1, 3
d) 1, 2, 3
2. Consider the following statements regarding Soil Erosion:
- Sheet erosion takes place on level lands after a heavy shower and is harmful since it removes the finer and more fertile top soil.
- Gully erosion is common on steep slopes which lead to level lands fit for cultivation.
Which of the above statements is/are?
a) 1 only
b) 2 only
3. the most prominent feature in the oceans, forming an almost continuous mountain range, is the?
b) Deep ocean trench
c) Abyssal plain
d) Mid-ocean ridge
4. The California Ocean current, which flows along the west coast of North America, is a?
a) Cold current, flowing north
b) Cold current, flowing south
c) Warm current, flowing south
d) Warm current, flowing north
- The California Current is a Pacific Ocean current that moves southward along the western coast of North America, beginning off southern British Columbia and ending off southern Baja California Peninsula.
- It is considered an Eastern boundary current due to the influence of the North American coastline on its course.
- It is also one of five major coastal currents affiliated with strong upwelling zones, the others being the Humboldt Current, the Canary Current, the Benguela Current, and the Somali Current.
- The California Current is part of the North Pacific Gyre, a large swirling current that occupies the northern basin of the Pacific.
5. Through which of the groups of countries does the Tropic of Cancer Passes?
a) India, Pakistan, Oman and Saudi Arabia
b) India, Pakistan, Iran and Iraq
c) India, Oman, UAE and Saudi Arabia
d) India, Oman, Yemen and Iran
Must Read Books for UPSC Civil Services Examination