IAS exam is all about the important topics which need to be prepared by the IAS aspirants. The candidates must develop the skill to understand and observe any current event of national and international importance from a lens of IAS syllabus and relevance for the IAS exam. Special emphasis should be given to filter out the irrelevant events and happenings which are not important for the IAS exam. This skill can only be developed by analysing the IAS question papers of the prelims exam and main exam.
- Join our Official Telegram Channel HERE for Motivation and Fast Updates
- Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Motivational and New analysis videos
Current Affairs and the General Studies topics are important for the IAS exam, be it IAS prelims, main or the IAS interview. The IAS exam needs a clear understanding of all aspects of Current affairs and general studies. We here provide a comprehensive list of topics important for the IAS Exam 2020.
There are some IAS topics which are evergreen and some IAS topics are very important for the year. IAS preparation revolves around these IAS topics because there is a high probability of getting questions in the IAS question papers.
All the IAS aspirants are studying the IAS syllabus to extract the important IAS topics for the upcoming IAS exam. IAS Exam 2020 will not be an exception to the previous years and the candidates are searching for the important IAS topics for this year as well.
See Here: IAS preparation in 75 days
Based on the previous year IAS question papers and the tips provided by the IAS toppers about their IAS interviews, we have extracted the section-wise important topics for the IAS exam 2020.
Current affairs topics are the guiding force for IAS preparation. It provides the locus of IAS preparation and the current affairs of the last 100 days are most important for the IAS prelims exam. The candidates need to prepare the current affairs from May 1, 2019 till 20 days prior to the exam. The question paper is printed 20 – 25 days earlier from exam.
Current Affairs 2020 Topics for IAS Exam
- Stages of Vaccine Development
- Postal Ballet in India
- Net Zero Carbon Emission – Meaning
- 5G technology – Beam formation, Mass MIMO
- Working of ICMR
- Drug testing regulation in India
- String of Pearls theory and India’s counter
- Sea Lines of Communication in the Indian Ocean
- One Belt One Road (OBOR) Policy and India’s Counter
- Cyclone Nisarga affected areas
- Fabric required for PPE kit
- What percentage of oxygen is required for the normal functioning of the brain?
- Shifting of Earth’s Geo-Magnetic field and its impact
- Indo-Nepal & Indo-China Border distpute
- Virus and Bacteria borne diseases differences
- CORONA Test Techniques – Viral vs Antibody Test
- Recent NAM and SCO Summit
- Recent Dhaula-Vira Discoveries
- Coronavirus Pandemic
- China – Wuhan
- Facts related to the Citizenship Amendment Act
- The Jammu & Kashmir, Leh and Ladakh formation
- Sir Creek dispute
- Uttarakhand Summer Capital
- Environment Summits 2019-2020
- POSHAN Abhiyaan
- Samavesh Program
- Atal Innovation Mission
- Methanol Economy
- Massive MIMO
- Beam Forming
- Towards a Clean Energy Economy Report
- Advance Virology Lab
- The South China Sea and American Interest
- Russia-India-China(RIC) 2020 virtual conference
- Gulwan Valley, it’s naming and geographical formation
- Atma Nirbhar Uttar Pradesh Rojgar Yojana
- China’s Security Law for Hong Kong City
- Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat Initiative
See here: Current Affairs 2020
Geography of India
The geography topics are very important because geography is a science-based subject and various candidates found it difficult to prepare. There are a good number of questions from the physical geography of India and the world. World geography has very fewer questions in the IAS question paper. The important topics are as follows.
- Flood and the Indian preparations across the state
- The naming convention of cyclones
- Physical Features along Indo-China Border
- Geo-Magnetic Field and its significance
- Cyclone Amphan & Cyclone Nisarga
- Formation of Himalaya and structure of Himalayas, Importance of Himalayas
- Physical Geography of India
- The drainage system in India
- Monsoon pattern in India
- Rock System in India
- Formation of Rocks
- Recent Census figures
History of India
History of India is one of the largest sections in the IAS syllabus. The number of question in IAS prelims and main exam is relatively less. Though the number is less, the UPSC can surprise any year with the increase in numbers in the IAS question paper. The important topic is based on the previous year trend and recent discoveries.
The modern history is the most important section of the IAS prelims exam. Following topics will be very important for the IAS prelims 2020.
- History of Galwan Valley
- Dholavira excavation and the related discoveries
- Government of India Act 1935
- All the events occurred in the year 1919 and 1920.
- All the events related to Mahatma Gandhi and Jawahar Lal Nehru
- The Round Table Conferences – I, II and III. (III is most important)
- Poona Pact
- Jaliawalan Bagh Tragedy
- Civil Disobedience Movement
- Cabinet Mission Plan
- Quit India Movement
- The Social movements in Modern India
- The Formation of Indian National Congress, the Democratic Socialist Party and the local parties
- The chronology of events leading to the Indian Independence
- National Leaders related to the National Movement
- Liberal Viceroys of India
Indian Polity Topics
The Indian Polity section is the favourite section of the UPSC because a good number of questions have been asked every year and the question seems very easy and direct but the close analysis of the question provides the insight that the question was difficult. It is suggested to read twice the Indian Polity questions then only mark the answers. The important topics for India Polity section are as follows.
- Implications of J & K reorganisation Act, 2019
- Difference between Cabinet Minister and Minister with Independent Charge
- Prime Minister as the Residuary Legatee
- Article related to the Land Boundaries and their redrawing
- Articles related to the Citizenship of India
- Citizenship Act
- Fundamental Rights
- Fundamental Duties
- Articles related to the Supreme Court of India
- Articles related to the Emergency Provisions in India
- Article related to the Union-State relations with social emphasis on Article 256, 356
- National Security Act
- Essential Commodities Act
- Important SC Judgements related to Fundamental Rights and Basic Structure Doctrine
- Panchayati Raj Institutions
- Lokpal Institution
- NITI Aayog functioning
Indian Economy topics are more oriented towards current events. The candidates need to prepare the current economic events occurring in India and the world. The candidates need to understand the Indian Economic Structure and its interaction with the world.
- National Infrastructure Pipeline
- Animal Husbandry Infrastructure Development Fund
- What is Negative Growth?
- Deflation and Recession
- Indian Economic Structure
- The primary, secondary and tertiary producers
- Agriculture in India
- Banking Structure of India (Recent Bank Mergers)
- RBI Mandate and it’s functioning
- SEBI, IRDA
- REPO rate, Reverse Repo Rate, Marginal Standing Facility, Bank Rate
- Crypto-currency and issues related to it ( Recently Supreme Court gave an order related to it)
The list given above is not exhaustive. We will amend it as we come across other important topics for the IAS exam 2020.
Some Related Links: