- The Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (Prevention and Control) Act, 2017, came into force on September 10, 2018. It aims to prevent and control the spread of HIV and AIDS in the country and provides for penalties for discrimination against those affected by the virus.
- The Act, safeguards the rights of people living with HIV and affected by HIV.
- Grounds on which discrimination against HIV positive persons and those living with them is prohibited:-
These include the denial, termination, discontinuation or unfair treatment with regard to:-
(ii) Educational establishments,
(iii) Health care services,
(iv) Residing or renting property,
(v) Standing for public or private office, and
(vi) Provision of insurance (unless based on actuarial studies).
The requirement for HIV testing as a pre-requisite for obtaining employment or accessing health care or education is also prohibited.
Rights of a infected person as per the Act: –
- Every person below the age of 18 years has the right to reside in a shared household and enjoy the facilities of the household.
- Prohibits any individual from publishing information or advocating feelings of hatred against HIV positive persons and those living with them.
- Family or guardian of a person below the 18 years of age to be applicable in the matters relating to admission to educational establishments, operating bank accounts, managing property, care and treatment, amongst others.
|ST Status to the Six Communities of the Assam. Government has given approval to grant ST status to six communities of Assam namely:- Tai Ahom, Koch Rajbongshi, Chutia, Tea Tribes, Moran and Matak. The Government also provides full safeguards to protect the interests, rights & privileges of existing Scheduled Tribes of Assam. A separate Bill will be brought to grant ST status to Bodo Kacharis in Hill districts of Assam and Karbis in the rest of Assam.|
- Every person in the care and custody of the state shall have right to HIV prevention, testing, treatment and counselling services.